Sunday, September 6, 2009

At Least

Soooo.. I finally got the mental courage to think about my hike to Mt. Timpanogos... because before todayyy I may or may not have grumbled and cried at the thought of the PAIN I went through on that stupid hike. Okay okay it wasn't that bad.. but I sort of tried to supress it from my memory for the past two weeks. Anyway, instead of boring you all with a play by play of our 14 mile hike which would be incredibly boring I decided to describe to anyone who wishes to hear the thought processes I had during the hike (because that is SOO much more exciting). I call it the "At least game." Its a measure to promote a better attitude and optimism in my life. Here's how you play:

Anytime you're sitting (or standing, or walking, or any other verb) in the middle of a less-than wonderful situation, you think of all the phrases that make you feel better about your status in life. for instance, on the Timp hike I'd randomly proclaim,

"Well, at least we're not pulling a handcart."
or
"At least we don't have a 7 year old with us."
or
"At least we're not on crutches."
or
"At least its not 100 degrees outside."
or
"At least we have flashlights."
or
"At least we're not fat."

(and especially on the way down...)

"At least we're not these suckers going UP."

These "at leasts" are pretty conservative... we got going on some good ones that made us all laugh and forget we're stupid college students who didn't sleep for 20 hours then go to hike a MOUNTAIN. stupid stupid stupid.

BUT I do have to say it was worth it. Mostly because we got pictures like this:










p.s. next time you're feeling even slightly depressed, play the "At least game." it really works!



2 comments:

Christie said...

Ha ha. Well way to stay optimistic. The pictures are pretty. I was reading through some of your other posts. What did you do this Summer? Ballroom dance camps? How awesome! I didn't know you like to ballroom dance!

Ryan and Julianne said...

Ha! Very funny post.

No kidding about the 7 year old part -- someone invited us to go on a 5-day canoeing trip with them where you canoe down the rivers for several hours at a time, then you carry your canoe on your back and hike through the underbrush area just off shore and then camp overnight. For 5 days. And they said that it would be no big deal with a 2-year-old.

No thanks.

Good job on climbing up the mountain. And then getting back down. Now you can say you've done it and you never have to do it again!